2.17.2010

Serious Issues on The Hills?

I think The Hills and MTV might officially be going a little too far.

I stumbled upon this article while looking for potential awardwinners for the week. At first it didn't really shock me even though it made me a little sad. Typical Hollywood/reality TV princess is taking her fame and wealth and doing what she wants because frankly who's going to stop her. Her being wasted in Miami during the Super Bowl doesn't really bother me that much. I mean who wasn't partying during the Super Bowl? But the hard drug use, if it's true, is really sad.

What's even sadder though? That MTV might show her potential problem on episodes of The Hills.

The thing is, I'm not really shocked that they would try to incorporate it. This is the ultimate drama - the bad girl gone REALLY bad - and would fit in with the show just fine. It'll definitely bring in viewers, especially with US Magazine planting the seed now. You know they'll continue to cover the story and find pictures of her doing shady things and all that so it's going to rope people in. And with struggling ratings, The Hills could use viewers.

But at the same time it makes me sad. Just how far does a show need to go? Now that MTV is apparently completely geared towards reality TV, is this what they have to show in order to keep up their new image? I would hope that they would approach the topic tastefully if it does turn out to be true, but I can't help but picture Brody, Lo and Spencer's sister sitting around and chatting about it over $12 coffees with their sunglasses on.

Furthermore, why this topic? There have been a lot of issues that the characters on the show have dealt with while it's been off the air. Why not tackle any of those? Maybe they'll talk about Heidi and all the plastic surgery news from recently. But they never discussed the DUI that Stephanie got. They tried to make an issue out of Heidi's sister's drinking when there was no issue at hand. A margarita at lunch does not signal rehab is all I'm sayin. I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting but this isn't the first time that a character from this show has gotten into trouble but now suddenly the issues are "unavoidable"?

Like I said, I just hope that if MTV goes down this path, they are tasteful and sensitive about it. Call her what you want. She might be a "famewhore" (I just saw that word on Perez Hilton) but this is a serious problem if it's true. Hopefully she and MTV can work something out to get her back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment