10.11.2010

Book Review: Gilead... Plus Some Movies

Gilead
Author: Marilynne Robinson
No. of Pages: 245
Where I Got It: Library

First line: I told you last night that I might be gone sometime, and you said, Where, and I said, To be with the Good Lord, and you said, Why, and I said, Because I'm old, and you said, I don't think you're old.

As soon as I read that first line, I knew I was doomed.  I have no idea why I chose to read this book.  Maybe because it's a Pulitzer Prize winner. Maybe because I didn't read enough reviews before taking it off the shelf at the library. Either way, I messed up big time with this one.  It was awful.

The premise is that a 76-year-old preacher is writing a collection of letters to his son who is 7.  Yes he is 76 and his son is 7.  His wife is like 30 years younger than he is as well.  So he's writing these letters to his son because, well, he's pretty much going to be dead soon.  And that's pretty much it.

I didn't even finish this one.  In fact, I made it to page 40 or something and I just couldn't even keep going.  I had every intention of finishing it. I even went to renew it from the library online but somebody else had placed a hold on it so I wasn't able to.  Yeah good luck with that buddy.  You can have this one.

There was no dialogue, no other characters, it was just this guy talking about where he had grown up and giving anecdotes that were sprinkled with Bible verses.  I couldn't stay focused and had to keep rereading pages over and over.  No bueno.

Go ahead and skip this one.

Rating: 1 of 5 stars (1 star for the pretty cover)


Coming Up Next: Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
In 1937, Pearl and May live a fabulous life as "Beautiful Girls" in Shanghai.  Their faces are used to sell everything from soap to cigarettes and their world is full of glamorous parties, clothes, etc.  They live a carefree life until their father loses literally everything he has through gambling.  To recoup his debts, he sells the girls to a man who lives in Los Angeles as wives to his two sons.  They struggle and face many hardships as they adjust to their new way of life.

And now for some movie reviews:
Up: This movie was really cute, but it made me kind of emotional!  This should surprise no one honestly.  But I did find myself tearing up at the end.  The relationship that grows between the grumpy old man and the little boy is so fun to watch develop.  Another Pixar classic! Two thumbs up.


I Love You, Man: Paul Rudd is about to get married and, after overhearing his future wife's friends talking about him, sets out to find himself a guy friend.  He meets Sydney (Jason Segel) and they hit it off instantly.  The relationship has its ups and downs throughout the movie, but of course everything is solved at the end.  Although the storyline of this one was pretty predictable, Rudd and Segel are hysterical.  The one-liners and comedic timing are pretty perfect and I found myself laughing out loud a bunch of times.  One thumb up, one thumb sideways. 


Gossip Girl - Season 1: Everyone was talking about this show and I never got into it so I decided to try it out for myself.  I'm pretty pleasantly surprised.  The cast and acting is really good and although the plot line is sometimes too hard to believe, I can definitely overlook that to see what happens on the next episode.  I've worked through them pretty quickly and am halfway through season two which is also really good.  One thumb up, one thumb sideways.

As always, feel free to recommend any movies, TV series, documentaries, etc. that you think I'd like!

No comments:

Post a Comment