9.28.2010

It's a Spears-tacular

If you hadn't heard, mainly from me (and honestly I don't know how that's possible), tonight was the Britney episode of Glee.  Hence the title of this post.

All Britney songs, redone by the amazing members of the cast of Glee.  Not just any Britney songs though.  Songs from Britney in her prime.  The songs I straight blasted on the radio of the '89 Mitsubishi Montero and danced to at all the high school dances.

But the best part of it all was that Ms. Spears herself would be making cameo appearances on the show.

And you know what? It wasn't half bad.

I honestly didn't know what to expect but of course the gossip columns set the bar pretty high with rumors and even Twitter photos of Britney on set.  I read everything about it and couldn't figure out what the heck kind of role she would play.  Well tonight I got my answer.  She didn't really play any kind of specific role.  She became part of each character's fantasy and made brief appearances just as a way for the kids in the glee club to get that extra push towards whatever they were trying to change in themselves.  At first I was like "That's it?" but after processing a little bit I realized that's kind of all that was needed.  She simply played herself and it worked.

It was an interesting dynamic within the show of the older crowd (mainly the glee club teacher) not seeing her as a role model or icon.  And it's not hard to see how they could think that way.  I mean she did go a little crazy for a good couple years.  Okay a lot crazy.  But the fact of the matter stands that she is a musical icon.  She's the best-selling female artist of the 2000s and in June of this year Forbes Magazine named her as the No. 6 most influential and powerful celebrities in the world.  Britney's legit whether you want to believe it or not.

She's definitely had her struggles but let me tell you, she's turned herself around.  La Lohan could take a  few lessons from Britney in how to take control of your life back. I think this appearance on Glee tonight showed that she's continuing to work on her image and is still a rock star.  People will be talking about this episode for a while, you can guarantee it.

So props to Glee as usual and props to Britney for making a really good career move.  She's on her way back I think.

Oh and p.s. next week's episode is going to be a sobfest.    

No comments:

Post a Comment