11.30.2009

The John Mayer Enigma

I found an actually interesting about John Mayer on Yahoo the other day. The title was "Why Do People Loathe John Mayer?". An article in "Details" magazine (never heard of it) basically asks the question of why people can't stand John Mayer. And his answers were pretty surprising and actually made me think that maybe he's not that bad after all.

It's true though. When John Mayer does anything but make music, he is kind of a giant dbag. From his Twitters to his romantic escapades, he just always comes off as an ass.

But apparently he is aware of this. And I guess he has no problem with it.

So does this make him more of a dbag? Does he come off as a lot more self-absorbed because he just doesn't care what people think?

I don't think that he doesn't care. I think he actually does care and I think it might even bother him that people give him a hard time.

I'm not sure if some of you out there have ever known a musician in your life, but I've known a couple and they are well, different from the average bear. Without their instrument, be it voice, guitar, piano, harmonica, whatever, they don't always know the best way to express themselves. Guys and girls I've known that are musicians are often reserved and don't want to be in the spotlight unless they're playing for people. They're just different.

For the most part, I think this is how John Mayer is. For the most part. This doesn't explain his random (and often borderline inappropriate) Twitters but let's face it. Twitter is first of all another way to protect yourself while you tell people how you really feel about things. And second, there are a lot worse things that people are putting on the Internet these days. Somehow it's become just a free for all for people to post whatever they want, whenever they want. I think it's terrible that people don't always take into consideration the repercussions of what they post on the internet, but that's another post for another time.

Then there's the whole dating celebrities thing. Think about this. How many super famous people can you name that are dating someone who is not also a celebrity? I'd be impressed if you could name me more than five. I think celebs are drawn to each other because they go through the same life experiences. Paparazzi, fabulous parties, long hours on set or in the studio is hard for those not in the business to understand. If you have a significant other, doesn't it make it easier if they understand your lifestyle/interests/career? And if you're not with someone right now, wouldn't you want to be with someone who gets that stuff too? So I don't think John Mayer is dating famous people just to be like "I'm John Mayer, I do what I want." I think as someone who comes off as pretty introverted to me, he wants someone who appreciates a quiet night at home. Now, the fact that the people he dates always end up being drop dead gorgeous is another story. Do I ever see John Mayer dating someone "normal looking"? No. So maybe this is where he starts to seem a little self-centered. It's a fine line my friends. A fine line.

The fact that he has a vast collection of women's leather bags is just disturbing. But come on, again, what celebrity out there doesn't own a bunch of ridiculous stuff. I hear Nicolas Cage owned a poisonous snake AND the antidote for the venom in case someone got bit. It's what you do when you're a celebrity. Cars, snakes, women's purses, whatever. You make money to spend it.

So bottom line is, John Mayer is an enigma. Hence the title of this post. But after reading this article, I honestly don't think he means to come off as an ass. It just kind of happens if you can believe that. I think at the end of the day he just wants to make music and play his guitar. Really it's pretty simple when you think about it. But I also think that sometimes he takes a little bit of satisfaction in putting that zinger up on Twitter or getting photographed with Jennifer Aniston on his arm. Just a little bit.

1 comment:

  1. All I know is that he got pulled over in Jersey and my friends saw him, and loved it.

    ReplyDelete