8.02.2011

Kindle Review: Dragonfly in Amber

Dragonfly in Amber
Author: Diana Gabaldon

So first and foremost, I've ditched the final Harry Potter book.  I know, I know but hear me out. My intention was to read the whole thing before going to see the final movie.  Well I didn't do that so now I've seen both 7.1 and 7.2 and I have zero interest in picking HP back up to finish reading it because I figure I already know how it all turns out. Maybe some day I'll finally do it, but I just have other books I'd rather read.

Like this one...

So this is book two in the Outlander series which outlines Claire Beauchamp, an army nurse who is transported back in time through a rock formation in Scotland and winds up in Scotland in the 1700s. While there she meets and falls in love with Jamie Fraser and in this book the two of them are trying to thwart a possible war against the Scottish Highlanders.

There's more to the story than that, but I don't feel like I can give much more away without revealing a lot of details and maybe someone actually wants to read this series.

Here's the thing. I'm pretty much reading this because I just need to know what's going to happen to Claire and Jamie. It's like The Bachelorette. I'm kind of underwhelmed by it all, but I still want to tune in.

A lot of this book revolves around this war that Claire and Jamie are trying to prevent - a war they know is going to happen because Claire is from the future. So a lot of it is strategy, inner monologue, Jamie and Claire plotting together and inferring. Sometimes things weren't exactly super clear. And there were a lot of characters so I had a hard time keeping track of certain people.

But I will say this. Ladies, Jamie Fraser is our Edward. Forget Twilight - Jamie Fraser makes Edward and Jacob look like even bigger tools than they already are. He's like the Scottish version of Ryan Gosling in The Notebook. I know.

The ending to this book was pretty incredible. And by ending I mean from 93% remaining on since it's on Kindle. I stayed up til 1 last night finishing this and I couldn't "next page" fast enough. I almost teared up at one part. Almost.

Overall rating: 3 out of 5 stars but I'm determined to finish this series out just to see what happens with Claire and hot Jamie.


Coming Up Next: Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
The story of architect Frank Lloyd Wright and his illicit affair with Mamah Borthwick, the wife of one of his clients told from the point of view of Mamah.

Not sure where I heard about this one, but it sounded pretty interesting and I've been looking forward to it for a while. 



No comments:

Post a Comment